This article contains opinions and/or editorial content.
This week, the Lodi School Board made a decision on how to proceed with classes for the fall semester. According to the press release from District Administrator Vince Breunig, that decision was partly based on “current information regarding COVID-19 virus in Columbia County and Dane County”.
It came to mind that many people may not know what that “current information” is.
As a registered newspaper, the Chronicle gets (among other things) a weekly update on the COVID-19 numbers for Columbia County. I have, up to now, chosen not to publish this information. It has been my assumption that people were getting this information elsewhere. I thought, however, it would now be appropriate to publish this information, so members of the School District have some context. I do not receive information from Dane County, and don’t think it’s worthwhile to include it in this context, as only a tiny bit of the District is in Dane County, and Madison would skew the numbers too much.
Key COVID-19 Data Summary for Columbia County as of July 29, 2020 1:30 p.m.
Columbia County has a population of 57,500
- Total positive test results: 2041Includes active, recovered, deceased (+38 from 7/22/20)
- Active cases: 54 (+0 from 7/22/20)
- Active cases currently hospitalized: 1 (-2 from 7/22/20)
- Individuals recovered: 149 (+38 from 7/22/20)
- Total deaths: 1 (+0 from 7/22/20)
- Total negative cases: 8748 (+800 from 7/22/20)
- Total number of active investigations by setting: 112Long-term care facility 2; Workplace 4 (non-health care); Group housing facility 1; Health care facility 0; Other setting 4 (-1 from 7/22/20)
- COVID-19 Activity Level : HIGH (Same as 7/22/20)
A Lodi native, Blaze attended the University of Wisconsin, Green Bay where he graduated with a degree in theatre technology & design. He has traveled extensively throughout the United States and the world–including a 6-year stint in China. He has been a teacher, a writer, a designer, and is the founder of the Redleaf Consulting Group.